This recipe has gone through years of tweaking. It was inspired by a recipe in my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, but I no longer have that cookbook and just make this from memory. This is a crock pot (slow cooker) recipe. If you want to do it on the stove (hob), increase liquid by about a cup and simmer for 1 to 2 hours.
Sausage and Bean Stew
Makes 6 - 8 servings
- 2 cups dry beans - a soft, light bean (Great Northern is my favorite, but I've also enjoyed Navy, Cannellini and Black-Eyed) OR substitute 2 cans of beans
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 pound Italian (or other flavorful / spicy) sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 3 c. chopped white or cabbage, chopped into 1 inch squares.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 t. dried oregano
- 1 t. dried basil
- 2 bay leaves
- Rinse beans. Soak overnight. Simmer for 10 to 30 minutes minutes. Drain. (Follow to package directions)
- Place beans in crock pot. Add broth, herbs and tomatoes. Stir.
- Add remaining ingredients, vegetables first ending with raw sausage on top. Cook 6 to 8 hours on HIGH. Remove bay leaves. Serve hot.