Organized Everyday is hosting a new carnival called Blitz-it Friday. If you have no idea what a blitz is, check out the original one hour blitz and staying focused.
Although my kitchen, living room and dining room could use a blitz every week, today I decided I really needed to tackle another area of the house ... my bedroom.
Here are a few before pictures.
Where do you start, when the piles are so high? In order to keep from getting discouraged, I had to start with the easiest stuff and the piles that would make the most visual difference. Here is how I tackled this space.
- Clothes (both clean and dirty) - the easiest thing to put away
- Bag and Shoes - these, too, already have a home so they are easy to put away
- Storage Bins - I had three bins that just needed to be put back in the closet
- Empty Boxes - why are these in here anyway?
- Books - most of these just needed to return to the bookshelf
- Random Boxes - these are boxes and containers that had been used to quickly pick up other parts of the house before company came over... then they just sat in my room making a mess.
- Surfaces - I cleared off the top of the desk, the dresser, the headboard and the night stands. This was time consuming because there are so many little things - jewelry, hair clips, paper clips, safety pins, etc.
- Put Away Piles - I had created several piles of stuff that went to other rooms that had to be put away - kid's room, garage sale stuff, etc. The timer went off right before I started this and it took me 10 minutes to get it all distributed.
It is still not perfect, but it is so much better. In the end, it took me 70 minutes to get the bedroom to this point.
Check out the after pictures.
Yes, I know we need to hang some pictures on the walls, but we are moving soon, so it will probably never happen.
What have you blitzed this week? Check out more Blitz's at Organized Everyday